Forum Downtime

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Forum Downtime

Postby andykirby » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:40 am

Hi All,

We are back at last! I would just like to apologise for the forum being unavailable for most of yesterday. It shouldn't have happened but unfortunately it did and I sorry if it caused any inconvenience for anyone, particularly those trying to get support for their device.

The problem was caused because by an excessive amount of email being sent from our webserver, basically forum related emails from post approvals and account activations. Wednesday was the busiest day ever on the forum with around 25,000 page views and all the emails being sent out caused our hosting service (000webhost) to think that we were spamming and so they suspended our account without warning! I couldn't believe this so I quickly raised a ticket on their help desk to explain the situation. Unfortunately they did not respond and still haven't.

When I started this forum I could never have had anticipated how popular it would be so I initially set it up on 000webhost, a free hosting provider. About 2 weeks ago I realised we needed a better solution so I made plans to migrate to their premium hosting service Hosting24... but the suspension issue yesterday just ended up forcing me into doing it a lot sooner and under much more pressure than I would have liked!

This morning I finally got hold of some nice chaps at Hosting24 who managed to get access to our database and ftp on 000webhost despite the suspension and we have now transferred everything over so we are up and running again but this time on a much better server with all the bells and whistles such as nightly backups and better bandwidth.

Anyway I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their support in making this an awesome place to be :D we are now looking for moderators and admins so if you are interested in helping out please get in contact.

All the best,

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: Forum Downtime

Postby baronpork » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:14 pm

I cant seem to access this forum still. Only my phone and tablet can for some strange reason. When i try to access from desktop i get a generic login popup dialog which wont accept my logon.
baronpork

Postby twjordo » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:32 pm

try a proxy server as that is what i am having to do for the time being to login... site is still under construction

i am using \"blue-proxy\" its free and does not get booted as much as some of the others i have tried
mk802IV w/ mk702IIair mouse ~ mk802+ 1gb ram 4 gb storage ~ mk802II 1gb ram 4gb storage ~ mk802IIIs 1gb ram 8gb storage with 4port usb running wireless mouse/kboard and red samurai bt gaming controller ~ mk808b 1gb ram 8gb storage
check out TechKnow
twjordo

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:56 pm

Every since you transferred the site, having problems connecting into it. Dunno if it's just an issue on my end or not, however, often clicking on links to maneuver through this site end up dead. And since yesterday I could not get in at all for about the previous 12 hours.
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby roelfrenkema » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:16 pm

Only way to reach Riko now is through proxy. Using TOR currently to avoid the problem.
Image Having a ball modding and tinkering with my 50€
roelfrenkema

Postby Tatanko » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:28 pm

I've been having lots of issues loading the site as well. Some days this week for nearly the entire day the site appears to be completely down for me, but will eventually load if I try it like 12 hours later. Honestly, it seems like it's down more than it is up. I'm not trying to criticize anyone in particular here, just saying it would be nice if the site were able to be accessed "whenever" and not just sometimes. It didn't used to be this way... why the sudden change?
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Postby andykirby » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:48 pm

Yes I understand what you are saying guys, this wednesday there was a massive DDos attack on the site which brought the site down for practically a whole day because the host started blocking IP's. I was on at them all day and then finally they took action and removed the block.

At other times I know at times the site is flakey, im not 100% sure why this is at the moment, all I can put it down to is an inadequate host and the fact that we are running on a shared platform.
I am looking into the options because we really need a stable platform, we are now getting over 30,000 page views per day so it is turning into a priority.

In the meanwhile please bear with us while we come to a solution.
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby Tatanko » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:09 pm

Thanks for the effort, andy. I'm still having intermittent issues accessing the site, particularly during the day (GMT-5 for me). Hopefully you can work something out to get more bandwidth, or a more reliable host, or whatever it is that needs to be done to provide a consistent experience. This is a great little community you've started and I'm sure I speak for plenty of members when I say we will support you if we reasonably can. The ads on the site right now are fairly minimal, have you looked into bringing in a wider variety of them or anything? Maybe you could set up a PayPal and ask for donations? :?:
MK802+
--Rev.2 firmware (4.0.4), 1GB RAM, a few tweaks...
Late '11 Macbook Pro 15"
--OS X 10.8.3, 2.4 GHz, 1GB graphics, 16GB RAM, high-res screen
iPhone 5
--iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken, 16GB storage
Tatanko

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum