Linux for MK802

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Linux for MK802

Postby andykirby » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:14 pm

Hi Guys,

For those of you that have seen my other posts lately you will already know that I have been trying to achieve a near perfect distro of Linux which will run well on the Rikomagic MK802.

I have tested lots of different variations of Linux by using disk images created by Miniand and then applying various hacks provided by the developer community to make everything work as it should do.

I have created a disk image which I feel works extremely well. In a way it also "summarises" where we are with Linux on the MK802 right now. It provides a completely useable desktop environment that can even be used by even the newest of Linux users.

This image is based on Lubuntu 12.04 with LXDE desktop, modified uboot by Suzuke and the latest Kernel available which has been compiled by Toby Corkindale.

What this basically means:

1. Lubuntu 12.04 LXDE lightweight operating system
2. Access to full 1GB RAM
3. Audio is working
4. Access to internal NAND Flash memory of MK802
5. WIFI Working and DNS problems resolved
6. Preinstalled Ubuntu Software Center for easily installing APPS (office etc)
7. Chromium Browser supporting Youtube playback (plays but still choppy)
8. 720P Video Output (1080p possible but I feel it slows the device down)

Note: The driver problem to allow hardware video decode has not been solved yet, this is still being worked on by some very clever people so hopefully this will be sorted out soon :)

It should work out of the box on any MK802 but it will most likely run faster on a device with 1GB ram.

Installation Instructions

You will need an 8GB Micro SD card, I have tested both Sandisk Class 4 and Class 10 and I have to say Class 4 seems fastest...

Download the image file here

Windows Users

Extract the disk image using 7-zip

Insert your 8GB SD Card

Use Image Writer to write the image to your SD card. Make sure you select the correct drive as this process will erase the entire SD card - You have been warned!

Eject the SD card and then put it into your MK802 and turn on. After 30 seconds or so you should see the login screen

Login with the password: miniand

Mac Users

Extract the image using Ez7z

Copy the extracted image to your Home folder (the home icon in finder most likely with your name on it)

Insert your 8GB SD Card

Your SD card will now most likely show up in Mac OS as a removable disk so you will need to unmount it.

Open the application terminal and type: diskutil list to find which device your SD card is.

Make a note of the disk number, be careful you note the number corresponding to your SD card and not your system drive!

Type: unmountdisk /dev/[INSERT YOUR SD DISK NO HERE]

In terminal, copy the image to your SD card making sure to write the image to the SD device Make sure you select the correct drive as you could erase your system drive - You have been warned!

dd if=lubuntu-1204-rikomagicuk.img of=/dev/[INSERT YOUR SD DISK NO HERE]

When the image has copied to your SD card (about 70mins) there will be a message displayed in terminal telling you if the process was a success.

Remove your SD card, put it into your MK802 and turn on. After 30 seconds or so you should see the login screen

Linux Users

Extract the image using p7zip: p7zip -d lubuntu-1204-rikomagicuk.7z

Insert your SD card

Find which device your SD card is with fdisk: sudo fdisk -l. It will be something like /dev/sdd

Copy the image to the SD card with dd, making sure to use the SD device: dd if=lubuntu-1204-rikomagicuk.img of=/dev/sdd

Make sure the SD has finished writing with sync: sudo sync

Remove your SD card, put it into your MK802 and turn on. After 30 seconds or so you should see the login screen

There you go... Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Andy
andykirby
Site Admin

Re: Linux for MK802

Postby Miniand » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:48 pm

I've just tried out your image and it's working really sweet, we're getting very close to a fast and usable system :)

We can't wait for the new Mali drivers to come out.
Mick
Miniand

Postby andykirby » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:55 pm

Great to hear, Thanks!

We really need those Mali drivers dont we :D
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby Kotana » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:27 pm

can i install xbmc for linux or xbmcbuntu?
Kotana

Postby andykirby » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Kotana wrote:can i install xbmc for linux or xbmcbuntu?

Not at the moment due to there being no support for the Mali Graphics hardware, however I know there are people working on this right now, more info can be seen here. http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=126995&page=47

I really dont think it will be very long before we see XBMC on the MK802, fingers crossed! :D
andykirby
Site Admin

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks! For some reason I hit a dead end on the piecemealing, and hopefully this is the ticket! Downloading now!
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Postby chesterx » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:12 pm

ImageWriter said 8G too small. Formatted disk and still just shy so went up to 32G with no problems. Thanks! :D
chesterx

Postby mimimi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:48 pm

The device finds my WiFi when I'm running Android. When I start MK802 Linux it tells me there is a wireless network available but when I go to Applications>Preferences>Network>Wireless, I can't see my WiFi network at all.
mimimi

Postby chesterx » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:14 pm

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/65028685/lubun ... magicuk.7z

Mirror site 1.43G.

Suspended by Dropbox for genreating excessive traffic. 3 days!
Last edited by chesterx on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
chesterx

Postby EnvyThisStuff » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:00 pm

Been trying the download (on a MBP) for about 5 hours now. It keeps stopping, saying:

"X.Y MB of ? -- The operation couldn't be completed. (kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork error 303.)

where X.y is a different number each time but never more than 135M

?? Am I just getting the luck of the draw?
Run into a problem? Need ***Mini PC/MK802 services***?
(installing firmware, installing LINUX, getting/setting up SD cards, etc)
Contact us! http://www.EnvyThisStuff.com
EnvyThisStuff

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum