Retro gaming (emulators)

Forum to discuss the Rikomagic MK802 Mini PC

Moderators: tatubias, twjordo, KEgg

Retro gaming (emulators)

Postby g2000 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:32 pm

I decided to start a new topic on retro (emulator) gaming based on genosyde's article/review see topic here

What I originally set out to do was go the Linux route but the performance just wasn't there. So I went back to the android os.

My mk802 config
Firmware:
Rev.2
Input devices:
Logitech K400 keyboard/trackpad, Logitech Rumble pad 2 (wired USB) controller

Installed emulator apps:
Ataroid - free - Atari 2600 emulator: works good * Could not map Rumblepad 2 buttons
SNESDroid - free - SNES emu: roms ran ok sound was choppy
SNESoid- free - SNES emu: tested by rodrigo4t (works good) * Could not map Rumblepad 2 buttons
John NES Lite - free - NES emu: worked good
Frodo C64 - free - commodore 64 emulator: worked good
MAME4Droid - free - MAMAE emulator: worked good

NOTE: Unless otherwise denoted all the above apps worked with a wired controller.

List (link) of Android Emulators - provided by exodus
url: http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-de ... red-setup/

Has anyone tried any others? Please share your experiences :)

Thanks

EDIT: I will try to keep the 1st post updated as we confirm & test which emu's work best :)
Last edited by g2000 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:01 pm, edited 6 times in total.
g2000

Re: Retro gaming (emulators)

Postby lpetrus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:25 am

I tried droid800 (http://code.google.com/p/droid800/). Worked mostly as expected, two problems occur. First problem is with settings, application exits when settings are accessed. The other problem was with display alignment, part of the emulated screen was not visible. I think both of these issues are caused by droid800 itself. I will try running droid800 on other 4.x device to confirm this.

I also want to try out AnDOSBox (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.locnet.dosbox)

I have a MK802 II.
lpetrus

Postby exodus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:00 pm

Have you used SetCPU with a ondemand profile? I find if you don't use it then the experience is a more jumpy laggie experience. You also need a good process killer because the hidden or other running processes can bog down the system too.

If you want a really good extensive list of emulators see the below link topic.
http://boards.dingoonity.org/android-de ... red-setup/

I have the Rev2 with all fixs known and keyboard update and SetCPU, Chainfire3D. I am using a logitech usb mouse with a snes usb controler (retrolink). I love playing the Atari 2600-5200 games, All the noid emulators, tiger emulator for the GBA (pokemon!!), supergnes (free works good), FPse (works great using ChainFire3d to reduce the textures), also I am trying out the dosbox emulator to try old games. I also have Kainy so I can play my computer games on my tv via remote and mapped keys.

I am thinking of going the CM9 route because I heard it is more stable and bluetooth can be used for it. My problem is the screen flash's to black two or three times just in ten minutes. It is annoying when playing an action based game and having it do that.
exodus

Postby rodrigo4t » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:12 pm

I tried N64Oid, work with just few glitches and no lag, but I couldn't make my cordless rumblepad (same controller as yours, but wireless) work both analog sticks.

SNESoid worked quite well, even sound worked properly. Did you flashed the most recent firmware on your MK802 ?

I didn't try NES and genesis yet.
rodrigo4t

Postby rodrigo4t » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:21 pm

exodus wrote:I am thinking of going the CM9 route because I heard it is more stable and bluetooth can be used for it. My problem is the screen flash's to black two or three times just in ten minutes. It is annoying when playing an action based game and having it do that.

I tried CM9 and gave up. Is indeed more stable, but I cound'nt make bluetooth work at all. It reconized my cheap chinese dongle once, but was unable to pair with my wiimote; after that, BT didn't work anymore.

Also, CM9 wasn't as smooth as I thought it would be. For instance, dropbox gives force closing and I couldn't map gamepad buttons on dead trigger as I did with rev. 2 firmware.

I tried beta 2 and beta 3 of uberoid, it was the snappier rom of all, but both betas got into bootloop after first reboot.
rodrigo4t

Postby g2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the input guys! :) Yeah I think we are all on the same page here. What I was going to try next was MAME and the good old classic Atari 2600 ;)

@ exdous - As far as the flashing screen issue went, yes I had the same problem. The way I solved it was flashing it with the stock firmware ad then upgrading to Rev 2. Since you have rev 2 check the freq (refresh rate). I noticed that after I upgraded to Rev2 it was set to 50Hz and the screen still flashed black every now and then. When I changed it to 60Hz problem solved. If you havent tried playing with that try it.

I as well was thinking of the CM9 route. I have a BT dongle and ultimatly what I want to do is just what you said, setup a wii remote on it. The wired Rumblepad works great, what sucks is that its wired (and who wants that in their living room?) LoL!. I'll definatly check out the other emu's you listed above. GB & GBA emu's are MUST HAVE! Cant wait :)

I have to try SetCPU because I noticed that some other apps started running a bit choppy. Whats your config on it? Havent used it so dont know much about it.

@ rodrigo4t - Thanks for the heads up on CM9. I guess we need to see which BT dongles work best and hopefully once CM9 is refined for the MK802 (and all the serious bugs worked out) I might give it a go. Time will tell right?

Something else I was looking at (off the subject) was the Puppy Linux Arcade:
http://scottjarvis.com/page105.htm
This would probably be the ultimate emulator pc but with Puppy Linux & MK802 it was no joy. Not sure if this can be ported (since its not designed for ARM processors) but what a sweet setup that would be. ;) Speaking of Puppy I tried that distro on my MK802 and it just wasnt there. Too glitchy and slow.
g2000

Postby exodus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:25 pm

I have a donation version of SetCPU. Let me see if I can get that uploaded tonight for you. I have also a text file with cpu freq's that you can use with it, but have to place it on your sdcard and tell SetCPU where the file is located. I don't have mine maxed out at 912mhz.. I have it set to 300-850mhz with the ondemand profile.

Thanks for the heads up on the 50 hrz freq of the channel. I'll have to check later tonight.

Something else I forgot to add.

I tried the n64 adapter with an orginal n64 controller and it works, but I can't get the cpad & anolog stick to work. The other buttons come up as unmapped in the N64oid, but does say button XXX when trying to map a few. I wish I could get it to work with it. I want to play mario 64 with it.

I want to know if anyone has played or got to work non emulated games on it. Those from Glu and other mobile game makers like those.
exodus

Postby g2000 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks bro. That would be awesome. Thanks :) Yeah something minor I noticed last night was my enter key was enter key wasn't working. I'll try envy's link and see if that does the trick: http://www.envythisstuff.com/techtalk/m ... tefirmware

Good call on the non-emu games. Would be nice if we can get a list of what works too. I think what I'll do is start updating the 1st thread with all known emu & non-emu game configs (just to make it easier for ppl looking this sort of stuff up) :)
g2000

Postby rodrigo4t » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:49 pm

exodus wrote:I tried the n64 adapter with an orginal n64 controller and it works, but I can't get the cpad & anolog stick to work. The other buttons come up as unmapped in the N64oid, but does say button XXX when trying to map a few. I wish I could get it to work with it. I want to play mario 64 with it.

I want to know if anyone has played or got to work non emulated games on it. Those from Glu and other mobile game makers like those.

It seems it's only a matter of mapping the analog stick correctly in generic.kl file. I've got the same problem as you: the right analog stick of my logitech gamepad isn't recognized in any game I've tried. It even seems to me that both D-PAD and left analog stick are mapped to the same keys.

The result is that it works quite well up to the point where a two stick layout is required to play properly (in dead trigger and GTA, for instance). I've tested several non-emulated android, gamepad enabled games (riptide GP, dead trigger, reckless racing, reckless getaway, etc) and everytime I only get so far as I can with DPAD and buttons. It's real frustrating :/

I considered buying a cheap xbox generic gamepad, however I'll wait and see how CM9 will evolve. Once BT is fully working, I can use my wiimote and the default controller.
rodrigo4t

Postby exodus » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:50 pm

I think I found a website with a list of controller controlled games for android.

It is trying to sell it's own controller, but i could use the website for the list to try out the games.
http://www.phonejoy.us/category/games/android/

--

I also forgot, I have gamekeyboard also that is for touch controlled games only. Where it will map buttons to touch buttons on the screen.
exodus

Next

Return to Rikomagic MK802 Forum